High think/high participation ratio in English - Ideas, thoughts and musings

 


Ensuring high think/high participation ratio in English

Background:

I’ve had cause to revisit Doug Lemov’s Teach Like A Champion (TLAC) over the past few weeks. Every time I read material from Lemov’s book, I come across something new. In this instance, his work around ensuring a ‘high think/high participation’ ratio in our classrooms has really struck a chord. I’ve read about this before but have never really considered how this could apply directly to an English lesson until now.

This blog, as always, is just a series of thoughts and musings and so I’ve detailed my initial responses to Lemov’s ideas and explained what I’ve been trialing in an attempt to foster buy in from all students in my classroom.

Firstly, a truncated explanation as to what ‘high think/high participation’ ratio is and then a brief on how I’ve used this idea and adapted it to suit English lessons. Apologies to Lemov for butchering what he so brilliantly and clearly explains. You can find Lemov’s better explanation on p.266 of TLAC 3.0.

In TLAC 3.0, Lemov discusses the idea of a ‘zone of desired student behaviour.’ He says:

‘Just because we ask questions doesn’t mean students answer them... or think much about them… Ideally everyone in a given class would think rigorously about every question you ask and attempt to answer it in their minds. This is a different activity from answering the question and sharing their thinking aloud. Answering and thinking are separate variables.’ (TLAC 3.0, Lemov, p.269/270)

Let’s think of this 'zone of desired behaviour' as ‘the dream’, the thing we all want our students to be doing in our lessons. They’re switched on, engaged and always participating, verbally or non-verbally. The idea of thinking and answering as two separate variables is an important one; after all, just because a student puts up their hand and answers a question, doesn’t mean they have thought about what they want to say. Giving students thinking time is vital. In every job interview where I’ve been asked what makes an outstanding lesson, I’ve always answered something along the lines of ‘a lesson that makes students think and think hard’ because that’s what I truly believe. ‘Doing’ does not always equal learning but thinking can mean they’re well on their way.  

(TLAC 3.0, Lemov, p.270)

Lemov also provides us with a ratio spectrum, allowing us as teachers to consider how much students are thinking vs how much they are participating. It looks something like this:

(TLAC 3.0, Lemov, p.266)

As you can see, our students could fall into four points in a lesson (TLAC 3.0, Lemov, p.266, 267):

1.       High Participation Ratio/High Think Ratio: Responding to questions through writing, verbal probing questions and cold calling.

2.      Low Participation Ratio/Low Think Ratio: First answer that pops into students’ heads accepted as the only answer.

3.      High Participation Ratio/Low Think Ratio: Whole class call and response. Little ‘desirable difficulty’.

4.      High Think Ratio/Low Participation Ratio: Dusting off the deepest questions about the nature of a subject and having profound conversations with 2 or 3 students in the class.

If we consider the ratio spectrum alongside our zone of desired student behaviours, we can see that ‘the dream’ can be found at POINT 1: everyone thinking and everyone participating. I think in English it can be particularly easy to fall into POINT 4. I’ve quite often fallen into the trap of digging deep into analysis with students, discussing high concept ideas with two or three of them and then realising that others in the class have been unintentionally excluded from the conversation because they’re unable to navigate the complexities of what we’ve been thinking about. Some are unable to think of ideas and interpretations of texts themselves or they struggle to understand what’s in front of them. Having read this part of TLAC 3.0, then, I’ve been thinking a lot about the following question: How can I ensure a high participation ratio/high think ratio in my class?

Applying to English

Before I begin discussing how I think this could be applied to English, I must stress this method is just one way of trying to reach POINT 1 on the ratio. It is not the way. This method needs some work. It needs to be refined and tweaked, but here is what I did as it stands.

One of my favourite things as an English teacher is discussing and exploring a range of interpretations that students discover for themselves. Some of the ideas my students come up with are so strong that I make a note to use them with the next year group who will encounter the text I’m teaching. Yet when I think about the ratio of students contributing to those conversations vs those who are not, I realise that I’m not meeting a high think/high participation ratio as much as I would like. Why might this be? Is it because students can’t be bothered? Is it that they’re not gripped by the story? Or is it because when I encourage students to think of their own ideas and find that coveted ‘original interpretation’, I don’t model how to do it? Something like that is hard to dissect and explore with students because how can one truly model the genesis and nurturing of an original idea? That’s a question (and perhaps a blog?) for another time, written by those with minds far brighter than my own.

The process

When I think about the way in which I try and draw out interpretations in English, I’ve always pushed for original ideas, yet a lot of our students find this difficult. I wanted to find a way to bring these students into the conversation to avoid hitting POINT 4 in the spectrum. As a result, I began mulling over the approach of explicitly teaching interpretations (which is perhaps the most controversial element of this blog; I know there are lots of people who would disagree with such a method). This is something I’ve done in the past, particularly by presenting students with ideas by literary critics, yet I considered how I could formalise this to ensure a high think/high participation ratio. Of course, I wanted to avoid just giving students an interpretation to learn and regurgitate. Instead, I wanted them to do something with these ideas. I wanted them to think hard about them, to challenge them, to argue and dissect them, to add to them. Here’s what I did.

Having read and ascertained understanding of the final part of Stave Two in A Christmas Carol, I asked my students ‘Who is Belle?’. As a key question for the past two lessons, inferences I would make around student understanding would be gained by whether they could answer the question or not. What I didn’t want to see was something like ‘Belle is Scrooge’s fiancée’ or ‘Belle is the woman who breaks up with Scrooge’ although this is what I was expecting and is partly what I got. Instead I was looking for something more detailed, something that had clearly been thought about.

I explained to my class the concept of characters as conscious constructs, the fact they are there for a reason: to help writers deliver their message. I asked students what message Dickens might be trying to convey through Belle, gave wait time, and then cold called, receiving mixed responses. Knowing my class, I could preempt that this is what I’d get, so I then presented them with the following three interpretations:

I walked students through each idea and got them to think individually about which one they thought was right. Anyone familiar with A Christmas Carol would surely agree that all interpretations are correct as they are all rooted in the text, yet this approach was a conscious decision, designed to instigate debate and discussion. Students were under strict instructions. They could only choose one interpretation when I posed the following question: ‘Which one do you agree with the most?’

I asked students to write the letter of the interpretation they agreed with on their whiteboard and to hold them up at the same time. There was an array of responses and I narrated what I could see (‘We have a lot of interpretation A over here, some people disagreeing with a mixture of B and C at the back of the room’) so students could think about what others had said.

Next, I asked students to speak to the person sitting next to them so they could explain why they chose the interpretation they did. The overall aim was to try and convince the other that their chosen answer was right. If they both chose the same interpretation, let’s say A, I asked one student to discuss what someone arguing point B would say and the other to argue for point C with the aim of pushing their thinking further and helping to avoid POINT 2 on the spectrum.

After discussion, I said to students they could change their option if they wished. Lots did, lots didn’t. I then asked students which interpretation they finally selected and why, offering wait time to ensure all students were thinking before cold calling at the last second. (On a separate note, I find ‘open’ cold calling a really powerful way of helping those who might be anxious to contribute, feel less threatened. By this, I mean saying things like, ‘Can you start to speak to me about what you discussed with your partner, Joe?’ The phrase ‘start to speak to me…’ tells Joe that I’m not expecting him to cover everything and invites him into the conversation with any point he is comfortable with making. Another Lemov method!)

Once I finished cold calling, I invited hands up for those who wanted to share their ideas but hadn’t been selected. Out of these conversations came elaboration of the three interpretations, brand new points and a strong, rigorous discussion around Belle’s function in the novella. With James Britton’s ‘reading and writing float on a sea of talk’ mantra, we then used the discussion to write our ideas down in our books, again ensuring POINT 1 was met on the ratio spectrum. As an aside, it's important to tell students that all the interpretations are correct at the end of the task, even though this is subliminally implied through the task itself, which isn't 'Which of these is correct?' but instead 'Which of these do you agree with the most?'

An approach like this could work for any subject, but why do I think this worked so well for English?

- Firstly, a selection of interpretations presented to students who struggle to consider their own ideas allowed everyone to engage in thinking and conversation.

- The task required students to think beyond their first response. Asking students to argue for ideas they didn’t initially agree with worked extremely well and really helped distinguish between the separate variables of thinking and answering.

- Out of these prepared interpretations came the genesis of new ideas through debate and discussion.

- Everyone was participating.

I’ve used the idea as a retrieval exercise too, moving beyond interpretations and focusing on quotations instead:


And here's an example from another lesson:

And finally, the original 'Belle' version, including the instructions I put on the board:


The method I've discussed in this blog isn't an original idea. Instead, it is an amalgamation of thoughts from educationalists I truly admire. I hope, however, there is something here that you might find useful for the contexts in which you teach.

By finding ways to invite our students into the conversation, we promote voice equity; we're telling our students that their opinion matters and we want to hear what they have to say. If anything, that's where the power of such an activity truly lies.

Stuart

(@SPryke2)