Knowledge Snapshots: Helping students with 'multiple interpretations'

Last year I shared a resource that I tentatively called a ‘Knowledge Snapshot’. I couldn’t think of another name and so, whilst sounding a bit gimmicky, it stuck and the feedback I received from those on Twitter who had downloaded it was extremely pleasing. I did, however, receive a few messages asking me why I created the resource and what exactly I was hoping to use it for. Before we go on, I must stress that with any resource, context plays a huge part in the thinking behind its creation. This is something that worked really well in my classroom so I thought I'd share.

Let me show you an example:


As you can see, the resource is meant to help students track the progress of character development and/or theme over time. As I was making this, I also considered how beneficial the format/idea was just in terms of my own planning. It allowed me to map exactly what I wanted to teach my students and a time frame for doing so.

I suppose the idea stemmed from Knowledge Organisers. They seem to have taken education by storm and teachers are finding increasingly inventive ways of using them. Having read Rebecca Foster’s fantastic blog on ‘Self Quizzing’ and implementing that into my own practice, I tried thinking of other ways that I could help teach students what was needed to give them the best chance in their exam. As such, the ‘Knowledge Snapshot’ was born.

Now don’t get me wrong. You can’t just introduce a few Knowledge Organisers into each unit of work and say you have a knowledge-led curriculum. I know that and I’m sure you do too. Knowledge Organisers, however, are great at showing students the bare minimum they need to know. This got me thinking. What about the knowledge that is needed beyond that organiser? Obviously this would be covered in lessons but what about the knowledge that is needed to help students create their own interpretations of a text? I can’t tell you the amount of times I wrote ‘explore multiple interpretations of a quotation’ as a target after an essay in my first three years of teaching. Looking back, I realise this was ineffective. It’s no use asking students to consider a different interpretation if they don’t have the knowledge to form it first.

About now, you may start accusing me of using the Knowledge Snapshots to tell students what to think. All they will do is read what is on it and regurgitate the information in their answer. Well, yes and no. I like to think of it as giving students a gentle nudge in a different direction so that I’m not reading over and over again that Scrooge is ‘solitary as an oyster’ which shows he is alone and distant from the rest of society. Yes, that answer is correct, but every student who studies ‘A Christmas Carol’ is going to be writing something along similar lines. It doesn’t escape me for one moment when I’m asking students to highlight the line ‘I wear the chain I forged in life’ that the majority of English teachers are going to have asked their students to do the same thing and if I’m honest, that thought scares me a little. I’ll often ask myself, how can I help students get something from this text which is different? How can I help them shape ideas that are fresh and exciting, especially if they are aiming for an 8 or 9? What is going to set them apart from every other student? Whilst these ‘Snapshots’ may not be the answer to all these questions, I certainly feel as if they’ve helped me take a step in the right direction in assisting students build their own original ideas and thoughts.

They have certainly opened up some interesting discussion. One of my students was so adamantly opposed to an interpretation I had included on a snapshot that the rest of the lesson turned into a debate as to whether I was right or wrong in my thinking. Students explained their ideas coherently and concisely and most importantly, were beginning to discuss interpretations they had thought of themselves because they now had the foundations in place needed to build them.

We spoke in great length about the symbolic meaning of Eva Smith’s baby (a part of ‘An Inspector Calls’ which I think is often overlooked). Students were talking about why the baby has to die because there is no place for it in society. The baby could act as a bridge between class divisions and yet it is wiped out by the callous actions of Mrs Birling who is only interested in self-preservation. We discussed how and why William Blake subliminally includes the acrostic ‘HEAR’ in the third quatrain of ‘London’ and how this could be a way of commanding readers to acknowledge that the oppression of those living in the city is so widespread that it is actually audible. It may just be coincidence that the first letters of Blake’s sentences spell this word, but the fact he is describing the ‘cry’ of the chimney sweep and the ‘sigh’ of the soldier in this part makes me think otherwise.

So how do I use them? I have self-quizzed with ‘Knowledge Snapshots’ and have also found the PiXL ‘Thinking Hard’ strategies work particularly well with them. (Reduce It, Transform It, Debate It etc). Other times I have focused on just one piece of information on the resource and used it to underpin what the lesson is about. They could also be used to help teachers increase their subject knowledge.

These Knowledge Snapshots are a resource I will continue to refine both in and out of the classroom. I hope this has been of some use and answered some of the questions posed about this particular resource. All the snapshots I have made so far can be found in my Dropbox on my Twitter page. I will add more as I make them.

Stuart

(@SPryke2)